Charleston Street’s (Cont. - 2)
New Market Area named for racetrack owned by the Plake family. New Street This notable two and one-half story brick house occupies the site of the Charleston Theatre, which stood on what was known as Savage's Green. The green lay between creeks, paralleling what are now New and Savage streets. The high ground was used for a militia drilling ground and by boys for a playground. The lower ends of the creeks were marshy at low tide but were favorite swimming places at hightide. In 1792 the Charleston Theatre, designed by architect James Hoban (c. 1762-1831) was built here. Born in Ireland, Hoban studied architectural drawing under Thomas Ivory (d. 1786). He was in Charleston by 1787, and in 1790 designed the first State House at Columbia. The theatre is the only Charleston building he is known to have designed. The interior was quite elaborate, but perhaps for financial reasons, Hoban's plan was not followed on the exterior, which was described as "an amorphous barn." Later, a handsome portico was added. In 1794, as a concession to the climate, air pumps, like those used on prison ships, were installed. Later, because of a disagreement between the faculty and trustees of the South Carolina Medical College, most of the faculty left the College on Queen Street, purchased the old theatre building and established the rival Medical College of the State of South Carolina. Eventually, the two groups had a reconciliation and all returned to the College on Queen Street. The theatre was demolished in 1850. Noble Street Grant to Thomas Noble on January 16, 1694/5. (S.C. Historical Magazine Volume 9, page 27.) Old Church Street Now called Meeting Street after the removal of St. Philip’s from original site to present Church Street. (McCrady 1719-1776 page 442.) St. Philip’s church was first used on Easter 1723. Old Rope Walk A straight way used for twisting rope. Advertised in Charleston Times October 20, 1801. Wanted immediately at Rope Walk, Hampstead, from 4 to 6 Negro laborers. Orange Street Orange Street was cut along the eastern boundary of the Orange Garden (a public pleasure garden for concerts etc.) by Alexander Petrie, who in 1767 divided the land on the West Side of the street into building lots. Lots on the East Side were taken from the rear of lots facing on King Street. The Orange Garden, and the street, was named for the oranges, which were planted there. Paoli Street One of streets in original plan of Middlesex as laid out by Christopher Gadsden, street named to commemorate his political learnings. (R.M.C.O.- John McCrady plats in Office of County Clerk, Charleston case number 34) Parsonage Lane An Alley leading to "Old Parsonage House." (R.M.C.O. book L6 page 369.) Payne Street Now known as Ashley Avenue. Pearl Street Established 150 feet south of Pinckney Street or widen to extend 45 feet by City Ordnance along with other provisions for improvement in this section. (Com. of Orphan House City laws 1833-1840.) Percy Street Reverend Percy owned a square here in 1804. (R.M.C.O. Book D8, page 466.) Philadelphia Alley Originally named "Cow Alley" then renamed to "Philadelphia Street" and later changed to "Philadelphia Alley." Originally named Kinloch Court but in 1810 changed to Philadelphia by William Johnson who owned much of the property in the vicinity. He had been sent to Philadelphia as a prisoner during Revolutionary War and named the street in admiration of Philadelphia. (Charleston News and Courier April 29, 1935.) An ordinance in 1811 for widening and opening Kinloch Court through the block and change of name. (Commissioner of Orphan House, 1807-1815.) Pinckney Street Named after Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, Esq. A large property holder in Colleton Square area and a man who did much for changing topography of this part of the city. Street also called Ancum Street interchangeable with Pinckney but the memory of Pinckney outlasted that of Ancum. Pitt Street (Harleston) Named after William Pitt, earl of Chatham. Streets of Harleston provided for in an act of 1770 according to plan submitted by the owners. Streets named for noted men of the period. Pitt Street (Middlesex) A street on original plan of Middlesex, a development of Christopher Gadsden who named the streets to commemorate his political learning’s. At a later date Pitt gave way to Laurens. (John McCrady Plats in Office of County Clerk R.M.C.O. Book 34, A.R.H.S. page 281.) Poinsette Street Named after Joel Poinsette, once an ambassador to Mexico. Poinsette’s Lane or Street Shown on Crisp’s Survey 1704. Probably so called from the fact that the house of Peter Poinsette in the period of 1680-1704, was one of the few most conspicuous houses of early city. Was on S.E. corner of Church and present Elliott Street. (Shecut sketch number 1.) A reference concerning the thoroughfare under the name of Callibeauf’s Lane says, "a street laid out by consent of neighborhood." (R.M.C.O. book E page 220, recorded 1713.) President Street Price's Alley This picturesque narrow street was named for Hopkins Price, through whose land the alley ran, in the 1780s. Princess Street (Swinton’s Lane named for Antitheses perhaps.) See Swintons Alley Pritchard Street Paul Pritchard, who had shipyard adjoining Hobzar Magazine of the British in Revolutionary times. The John Adams (52 gun ship, paid for by popular subscription in Charleston and built by Paul Pritchard and John Darby hid brother in law between 1798-1799. Public Walk Throughway St. Philips and Circular Church grave yards first suggested in Charleston Courier June 18, 1824. Suggested that it should be first order of walk through graveyard at New Haven. (See Lady Street.) Queen Street This street was one of the original streets of The Grand Modell. It was first called Dock Street, after a boat dock, which was dug in the swamp, which formerly existed at the present intersection of the street with East Bay. Subsequently, it was renamed Queen Street, for Caroline of Ansbach, the consort of George lI. At its western end, Queen Street ended at a barricade at the present intersection with Smith Street until 1849, when it was extended through the marsh westward to Rutledge Street. At the same time, Smith Street was extended southward from Beaufain to Queen. Race Street Probably from New Market Racecourse. Originally called "Hope Place" but this changed to Race Street by City Ord. 1903. Radcliffborough Thomas Radcliffe developed this area around 1786. Radcliffe Street Thomas Radcliffe, who developed Radcliffeborough from his lands. Plat made by J. Purcell, 1786. Seems to be original laid-out. (John McCrady Plats R.M.C.O. located in Office of County Clerk, Charleston book #2 page 38.) Reid Street James Reid owned pretentious house in this locality in 1757. (Advertised in Gazette of April 1, 1757, A.R.H.S. page 357.) Rhettsbury Plantation divided into lots and streets named for family members. (A.R.H.S. page 270.) Rivers Avenue John Rivers laid out a private street around 1740. Lot number 142 and one of the lots belonged to John Rivers. He opened a passage 16 feet wide along their south edge. (A.R.H.S. page 196.) Romney Street Named after the "Rumney Distillery." The distillery was the centerpiece of Aaron Badcock, Nathaniel Russell, and Andrew Lord. Originally a grant to Hugh Cartwright or Carlerett, 1676. Later in hands of hon. John Colleton and he called it "Exmouth." Later called "Bachelors Hall" as property of Thomas Boone Royal Governor of Province of S.C. (Judge Smith, Charleston Neck, page 17.) Roper Alley Property adjacent to Alley owned by Robert Roper in 1788. (R.M.C.O. book A#6 page 231) Heirs of Robert Roper mentioned in City Ordinance on December 19, 1801. In 1808 William Roper conveyed to City Council 2 lots for widening Market Street (R.M.C.O. Book #7 page 93.) William Roper a signer of early American paper money owned the Southern War in Revolutionary times. (Johnson’s Traditions page 194.) Corn Hill plantation (1758) on Charleston neck conveyed to William Roper and it remained in Roper family 98 years until 1856. (Judge Smith- Charleston Neck- page 48) Rope Lane About 100 feet long running a cul-de-sac eastward from Meeting Street. Originally a straight a way for twisting ropes. Bristol Snetter made rope in it, hence the name. In 1768, a Thomas Iver’s Rope Walk in advertisement in South Carolina Gazette on September 30, 1768. Rose Lane An indenture of 1779 to John Rose, a piece of land in Colleton Square in depth to store houses on Rose’s Wharf and bounded on North on an alley or street "formally laid out by John Rose and now public. (R.M.C.O. Book C#5 page 36.) Russell Street Named after Nathaniel who started extensive developments venturing around Rumney Distillery. Rutledge Avenue Named after John Rutledge, Act of 1770, provided for street of Harleston according to a plan submitted by owners, streets named for noted men of period. (A.R.H.S. book P2, page 311.) Sans Souci Street Named after Sans Souci Plantation located on Charleston neck. A part of grant to Joseph Pendarivs in 1672 had this name in 1800’s. (Judge Smith, Charleston Neck, page 20.) Plan of Sans Souci farm laid out in 1799. (Index book to Plat Book County Clerk Office page 117.) Savage Street Savage Street is named for William Savage, who owned land in the vicinity before 1789. Scarborough Street Continuation of Anson Street located in Ansonborough, from George to Calhoun. Named after the ship in which Lord George Anson was long stationed on this coast. (A.R.H.S. page 234-235.) Seyle Street A Governor William Seyle laid out Oyster Point in 17th century; streets of Washington Village named to commemorate names noted in Revolutionary period. Shepherd Street About 1878 "pickpocket" known as Shepherd Wilson’s Farm, divided into lots and sold out as the property of Mrs. Sophia Francis Shepherd Marion "Pickpocket" part of Dalton grant. (Charleston Neck, By Judge Smith, page 19.) Simons Alley An early thoroughfare and no doubt began as an entrance to the Simmons property, as early as 1739. (Pinckney’s Map 1739.) Simons Street Henry Simons or Simonds received a warrant dated July 27, 1672 for 150 acres on Charles Town Neck; this allowed him for his arriving in the first fleet. In 1692 a grant to him of 80 acres, part of Sans Souci & Magnolia Umbra. (Judge Smith- Charles Town Neck, page 19.) Short Street Located on land of Mazycks’ around Broad Street. Probably land for street given by family. First dated around 1788 (R.M.C.O. Bower Book) and Back Street shown as "original street laid out by Mazyck family." (Index book to plat book in Office of County Clerks, page 39, map number 3.) See also Mazyck street on Pinckney map, 1739. Smith Lane Eber Josiah Smith, who before 1770 filled up the marsh which, extended up between the West Side of Meeting Street and King Street nearly to Smith’s Lane. (A.R.H.S. page 177) Smith Street Benjamin Smith the speaker. About 1775, the General Assembly had just directed the laying out of lands west of Glebe lands (north of Beaufain and of Coming Streets) which gave them names of actors in the great struggle which had then begun. (McCrady 1719-1776, page 398.) Society Street Society Street is named for the South Carolina Society which bought property along the street in 1759. Part of the street was originally named Centurian Street in honor of one of Lord Anson's ships. South Battery The street now called South Battery originally was a narrow street, running between Church Street Continued and Meeting Street, behind Broughton's Bastion. Known as Fort Street, it was depicted on the "Iconography" of 1739. Fort Street was later extended to connect with a road behind the Fortifications, which became the High Battery. Still later, when William Gibbes and others cooperated to fill marshes along the Ashley River and constructed wharves and houses, a street running from Meeting Street to the Ashley River was created and called South Bay. It ended in a breakwater approximately where Lenwood Boulevard is today. After 1830, when the land east of King Street and south of South Bay was developed into White Point Garden, the park became generally known as The Battery, Fort Street was eliminated, and the street from East Battery to King Street became South Battery. West of King Street, the old name of South Bay continued to be used until after the creation of Murray Boulevard (1911-15). Now the name South Battery is applied for the full length of the street from East Battery to Tradd Street. Squirrel Street Plan for street on Hunter’s Plat, 1746, original plans of Ansonborough and named for Captain Anson’s 2nd ship. State Street State Street was formerly called Union Street, to celebrate the union of England and Scotland in 1707. The named was changed to State Street in 1812. Stoll’s Alley A private Alley dated from 1762, along side a lot owned by Justinous Stoll. The property had a 55 foot wide creek on one side of the lot. This Vanderhorst Creek was filled in around 1788. (Petrie’s Map R.M.C.O. A3 page 371.) Swinton’s Street Or Alley. An alley on property of Swinton property before 1824. (R.M.C.O. Y7 page 116.) Charleston Courier "Backward glances May 4, 1831.) Tobacco Street Named after Tobacco inspection sheds located along this street. Provided for by Commissioners who set up tobacco inspection in Charleston. These appointed by state. Shown on plan of 1801. (A.H.R.S. page 301.) Index book to plat book in Office of City Engineers, page 85, Map Number 2.) Tradd Street Tradition says Tradd Street was named for Robert Tradd who supposedly was the first child of European descent born in the Province. It is more likely that it was named for his father, Richard Tradd, who by 1679 was living at the northeast corner of present-day Tradd and East Bay. Early deeds refer to "the little street that runs from Cooper River past Mr. Tradd's house." Trott Street Named after Chief Justice Nicholas Trott who married the widow of Col. William Rhett to whom Rhettsbury was granted in 1714. Rhett’s two great granddaughters divided the plantation between them and in laying out the land into building lots and streets with the names attached to them of family members. (A.H.R.S. page 270.) (R.M.C.O. L6 page 491.) Union Street (State Street) Shown on Crisp’s Survey of 1704 and named in commemoration of the union of England and Scotland which took place in 1707. (A.R.H.S. page 38 and foot note.) In 1741 described from about present Chalmers northward as "street or lane" leading from Colonel Miles Brewton’s saw Pitt to the Broad Street now called Union Street. (R.M.C.O. V page 415.) Unity Alley A street laid out by consent from Bay to Union Street. (R.M.C.O. V page 415) An indenture of 1725 describes it as "the 5 foot of land, parcel, likewise of said lot (#17 of Modell and premises but left for an alley or passage with other 5 foot of land late of Mr. Amory but now of Mr. Allen." (R.M.C.O. E page 364.) Wall Street Wall Street is said to have been named for a brick wall following the line of Anson & Scarborough streets, but east of these. The wall, according to this tradition, marked the boundary between Ansonborough and Middlesex. Warren Street Sir Peter Warren was a British Admiral (like Lord Anson) was stationed at Charles Town as a young man and purchased lands in vicinity of present Warren Street. (McCrady Map 1719-1776 page 535.) Washington Square Named by City Ordinance of 1881. Land purchased in 1818 by City Council was Old Beef Market, widen the Alleys at North, opened out Chalmers Street and laid out the City Square on present lines. (A.R.H.S. page 260-264.) Water Street Water Street follows the course of Vanderhorst Creek, the waterway down which William, Lord Campbell, the last Royal Governor of South Carolina, slipped in his flight from the Rebel City. Wentworth Street Wentworth Street originally had two names. The East End, in Rhettsbury, was called Trott Street, after Judge Nicholas Trott. The western and longest portion was named for Charles Watson Wentworth, Marquess of Rockingham, who with William Pitt had been responsible for the repeal of the Stamp Act. It was one of the streets of Harleston. Wharf Street Original Street in plan of Middlesex as laid out by General Gadsden. (Case #34-John McCrady Plats in Office of County Clerk, Charleston R.M.C.O) Wilkes Street On early plan of Middlesex laid out by General Gadsden. Streets named to commemorate his political learning’s, (A.R.H.S. page 311.) William Street After William Farm on Charles Town Neck. Originally a part of grant to Samuel West, conveyed in 1784, from Henry Timrod (father of the poet) to Dr. George Hahnbaum and Jacob William. (Judge Smith, Charleston Neck, page 30.) Wragg Square Wragg Square, also known as Wragg Place, extends along the north side of Wragg Hall, a one-acre park or open space given to the public by the Wragg family in 1801. For a time in the late 19th century, the park was also called Aiken Park, for Gov. William Aiken, whose house is at the East End.
Please take a moment to let us know what you think about our site. Thanks!
Copyrighted © 2019, Orient of California, all rights reserved