Elizabeth Street Elizabeth Street, named for Elizabeth Wragg (1736-1773), daughter of Joseph Wragg, was one of the original streets of Wraggborough. Elizabeth Wragg married Peter Manigault and was the mother of the architect Gabriel Manigault. Photo: 48 Elizabeth St. Aiken-Rhett Mansion c.1817 Ellery Street Thomas Ellery, co-purchaser of Sir Peter Colleton’s Square along with C. Pinckney and George Hunter, 1736. (A.R.H.S. page 269) Elliott Street This street was laid out as a 20-foot wide thoroughfare, by the agreement of several properties owners through whose land the street was cut, in 1683. It was known at different times as Callaibeuf's Alley and Poinsett's Alley, after Huguenot families who owned property along it. It was also known as Middle Street, and finally as Elliott's Alley or Elliott Street, for the family who owned Elliott's Bridge (wharf) and other substantial real estate in the neighborhood. During the late 18th and early 19th centuries, Elliott Street was a major retail shopping area. The neighborhood suffered the great fires of 1740 and 1778, and most of the buildings date from the l790s. Restoration of houses on the street, which had fallen into slum conditions, was begun in the 1930s. Elliott’s Street (Spring) Thomas Elliott the emigrant owned Charles Town Neck land prior to 1719. (Chas. Neck, Judge Smith, page 35.) Federal Street Now called "Society Street." Fort Street 30" wide reserved by Act of Assembly for a public passage. (A.R.H.S. page 188) Franklin Street Franklin Street was originally called Back Street for its position on the back part of town. Friend Street In 1735, a deed that the little street called Friend Street shall contain 20 feet in breath and shall remain as a passage for all his Majesty’s subjects from Tradd to Broad Street. (A.R.H.S. page 237.) Front Street Middlesex fortifications front. An original Middlesex Street. (R.M.C.O. Charleston, John McCrady Plats, case number 34. Office County clerks.) Gadsen’s Green A large vacant space surrounding the residence of Gen. Gadsen, a small wooded house with a portico built by Lord Anson who occupied it as long as he lived. Gadsden Street Gadsden Street, one of the original streets of Harleston village, laid out in 1770, was named for Christopher Gadsden, Patriot general and lieutenant governor of South Carolina during the Revolution. George Street George Street was laid out in 1746-47 as one of the Streets of Ansonborough and is named for George, Lord Anson, and developer of the suburb. (A.R.H.S. page 282) Geyer’s North Range Tenements belonging to John Geyer in 1802. Bounded on North by an Alley jointly owned by Arnoldus Vanderhorst and on the South by a street leading to Geyer’s North Wharf. (R.M.C.O. H7 page 122.) Gibbes Street Gibbes Street is named for William Gibbes, who with other property owners cooperated to fill in the marshland north of South Bay (south Battery) between 1770 and 1775. Gibbes also built the mansion at 64 South Battery, c. 1772 at which time that property extended north to Gibbes Street. Gillon Street Gillon Street, one of the city's few remaining cobble-stone streets, was named for Commodore Alexander Gillon, who was a Scot born in Rotterdam, The Netherlands, and who commanded the South Carolina Navy during the Revolution. Goodbye Alley Goodbeys or Goodby’s apparently a family name. A John Goodbee, planter and contemporary with Charles Pinckney. A son named Alexander. (R.M.C.O. RR page 109) Greenhill Street This narrow thoroughfare, which ran south from Tradd Street to the Ashley River, and now terminates at Gibbe Street, was originally called Adams Street. Green Street Named after a green of the College of Charleston. (Fraser page 27) Grove Street Apparently from Grove Farm Plat of Grove Farm laid out with streets, 1793. (R.M.C.O. book K number 6 page 68). Grove Farm was part of a grant in 1701 to Patrick Scott of 170 acres part of original Dalton grant. In 1738, the greater part of this and additional land north conveyed by Daniel Cartwright to John Braithwaite from whom it passed to John Gibbes. Gibbes then called his property Orange Grove but it was later to become known simply as the Grove. In 1770 it included some 232 acres. Guignard Alley In 1770 was two blocks of Maiden Lane from Ellery to Pinckney Streets. Apparently named for Gabriel Guignard who owned Colleton Square property in time of Charles Pinckney. (R.M.C.O. S number 3 page 22.) Guignard Street See Guignard Alley Hampstead, Village of Laid out for Henry Laurens, 1789. (R.M.C.O. Vol. Y page 45) Hampton Park Originally known as Sunken Gardens, which with Rhett Farm named by the city in 1903. Hard Alley Shown as "the Hard" as a narrow strip of high land surrounded by marsh on plat by Robert Naylor recorded 1773. (R.M.C.O. page 191 book I #4) Marked "Hard" on copy of lands granted William Rhett, 1714, survey of Rigby Naylor in 1773. (R.M.C.O. vol.6 page 1-9.) Harleston, Village of After the family of Mrs. Affra Coming, niece of Harleston. This was the western part of the Coming Grant and long remained in the possession of Mrs. Coming’s nephew and his descendants and was continued to be called "Comings Point." The will of John Harleston, second of the name, speaks of Harleston Village and tells us that he and his brothers Nicholas and Edward had agreed to lay out the same into lots. In 1770 an act was passed to open streets through Harleston and Glebe lands according to a plan submitted by the owners. (Smith page 311) Harleston Street Named after Harleston family. Provided for by an act of 1770. Changed from Barre to Harleston by City ordnance August 30, 1837. (A.R.H.S. page 311.) Harmon Field Gift of Mr. Harmon (Year book 1927 page 173.) Hasell Street James Hasell Jr. son of Chief Justice of North Carolina who married Barbara Wright, the grand daughter of Col. Rhett of Rhettsbury. Two daughters of this marriage divided Point Plantation or Rhettsbury between them, Laid out into lots and streets and named streets family names. (A.R.H.S. page 270) Survey of division of land into streets and lots, 1773, by Rigby Naylor. Copy of plat of lands granted to William Rhett, 1714. (R.M.C.O. L#6 page 491.) Hayne Street Robert Y. Hayne, first mayor of Charlestown. Office of intendment changed to Mayor in 1836. Pearl Street changed to Hayne in 1839 by city ordinance after being provided for as a new wide street in general improvements of this area provided by City Ordinances in the year 1836. Henrietta Street Daughter of Samuel Wragg of Barony of Wraggborough. (A.R.H.S. page 297) Hewatt’s Square Bounded by Broad, Queen, Friend, and Mazyck) Rev. Alexander Hewatt, D.D. pastor of Scotch, now 1st, Presbyterian Church, Charleston, 1763-1776 published in London in 1799 first work designated as a history of South Carolina and complied with the assistance of Lieut. Gov. Bull. In 1776 he left the province because of his opposition to the pending Revolution. (McCrady 1670-1719) Hind Street 1 block of Beaufain west of King Street. Patrick Hind purchased from William Wragg, Esq. Before 1778, the square formed by Wentworth, King, Beaufain, and St. Philip’s Street. (R.M.C.O. Z #4, page 38) Plat by Rigby Naylor, 1770, shows that P. Hind gave 20’ to open St. Philip’s Street and Lamps, August 18, 1812.Beaufain opened from King to Archdale by Act of Assembly 1746. Hopton’s Alley Family name William Hopton owned large tract of land in Ansonborough and thereabouts in period between 1707-1754. (R.M.C.O. VV page 335) bid John McCrady plats in Office of County Clerk Chas. Case 36. Horlbeck Alley or Street Family name. Lease of a lot, 1793, to John Horlbeck by Roger Pinckney on Moore Street (present Horlbeck.) (R.M.C.O. K6 page 164.) Huger Street General Huger originally a street of Washington Village and these named to commemorate names in the then recent Revolution. Hunter Street George Hunter, Surveyor General, who with Thomas Ellery and Charles Pinckney Esq. Purchased Colleton Square property 1736. (A.R.H.S. page 269.) Laid out by Consent of Proprietors. (Ibid YY page 236.) Hutson Street Richard Hutson, author of act of Incorporation of City and the City First intendment 133 years ago. (C. News and Courier, August 13, 1936.) Inglis Arch or Alley Apparently a family name. Conveyance of a lot by William Elliott to George Inglis, fronting on Bedon’s Alley and bounded on S.E. and by other lots belonging to most part to Elliott family. (R.M.C.O. F3 page 433.) Apparently a lane through to East Bay Street. Inspection Square After use for Tobacco Inspection. Land granted for this purpose to City Corporation by Act of Assembly entitled to Incorporate Charleston, August 13, 1783. Plat of plan by B. Beekman, 1784, for layout of Tabacco inspection square. (R.M.C.O.- John McCrady Plats in Office of County Clerk, Charleston, book 12, page 76.) Inspection Street Probably had something to do with inspection of Tabacco a in an Ordinance of 1835, permits closing of both ends of street with gates as deemed proper by field officer of 4th brigade in charge. This street called Wilkes Street is a street of Middlesex and ran west of Front Street (East Bay) to Boundary Street, 1786. But in plat of General Gadsen’s lands, 1795, called Inspection Street County Clerk, Charleston, case #33. Probably the change was made after Act of Incorporation and set up of Tabacco Inspection. This street ran from General Gadsen’s Wharf at this time reckoned one of the most extensive of its kind ever undertaken in America. John Street John Street was named for John Wragg (1718-1796), eldest son of Joseph Wragg. It was one of the original streets of Wraggborough. Johnson’s Street (Legare) A blacksmith shop at river end owned by Johnson. Judith Street A daughter of Joseph Wragg of Barony of Wraggborough, streets named for his children. (A.R.H.S. page 297.) Kincaid Street Family name, George Kincaid conveyed a lot in this street to Z. Kingsley, 1781. Plat by W.H. Naylor, 1772, shows it as 33 feet wide and block east of Legare or Johnson’s Street and continuing into a narrower lane to eastward adjoining Mr. Lamboll’s land. Kincaid probably a lane to Aincaid property and Lamboll property. King Street King Street, named for the ruler of England, was in the early days of the settlement the main highway into Charlestown, down the narrow ''Neck"' from the interior. It. followed a ridge of high ground between the many creeks and marshes lacing the peninsula. The road was known variously as "The Broad Path," the "High Way" and "The Broad Road." Those names continued to be applied to that part of the street above Beaufain Street until after the Revolution. During the latter part of the 18th and early part of the 19th centuries, the upper part of King Street became the center of the wagon yard trade. Wagon drivers from the interior there traded country products for store goods. During the period from the mid-19th century to the early 20th century, King Street was a regional retail emporium. King Street ended at South Battery until 1911, when it was extended southward to newly created Murray Boulevard. Kinloch Court Family name, 1751. Conveyance of lots 66, 67, and 217 of "Modell" to Francis Kinloch. One lot bounded by West by property of James Kinloch. (R.M.C.O. A3 page 7.) By lot of C.T., 1725, these lots on North side of Queen Street and run in depth to location of Kinloch Court, East of Church Street. Probably originally entrance to Kinloch property. Ladson Street Ladson Street is named for Lt. Gov. James Ladson, who built the wooden house at the corner of Meeting and Ladson, c. 1791. The street is older than the name, however, having been cut through the lands of Lt. Gov. William Bull to provide access to the lot of his son-in-law, John Drayton. Ladson's Court was extended west to King Street and widened in the early 20th century. Land was given to John Ladson on May 9, 1695 on Charles Town neck. (Chas. Neck-Judge Smith page 39.) Laurens Square Henry Laurens who had a wonderful garden here. The square occupied the land in closed by Pitt (Laurens East Bay, Anson, and Centurian) Son of Henry Laurens laid out Society in building lots. (A.H.R.S. page 281) (R.M.C.O. #7 page 470, plat by Purcell, dated 1804.) Laurens Street Henry Laurens built a house on the corner of present Laurens and East Bay between 1758-1768. Land for street (25’ wide) left by General Gadsen and Henry Laurens (previously Pitt Street) from East Bay to Wharf Street was the dividing line between General Gadsen’s Middlesex and Henry Laurens holdings. South side of Gadsen’s Wharf called Laurens Street, 1808. Journal of Commissioners of "Streets and Lamps" (dated 1808 page 87) Part of Laurens Street, formerly Pitt. Laid out by General Gadsen in development of Middlesex. Lamboll Street Lamboll Street has been variously called Smith Lane, Dedcott's Alley, Rivers Street and Kincaid Street, after various property owners. Its present name comes from Thomas Lamboll who owned land on the street in 1722. Legare Street Legare Street was early called Johnson's Street, for Sir Nathaniel Johnson, Governor of the Province, 1703-09. Later it was named for Solomon Legare, a prosperous Huguenot silversmith who owned considerable real estate at Legare and Tradd streets. Lightwood Alley Family named 1786. Deed of sale of land to Edward Lightwood on Church Street continued. (R.M.C.O. #5, page 428) Alley evidently in beginning an entrance to property. Lilac Lane Two large grids of "India" or "Indian Lilaca" bushes stood at either side of George Street entrance to lane of Mr. John Bennett. Limehouse Street Limehouse Street is named for the Limehouse family, through whose land the street was cut in 1788. A lot on the south side of Broad Street adjacent to lands of Thomas Limehouse. (R.M.C.O. Dower Book, dated 1788.) Line Street (Formerly known as "Hunter") Seemly because of location in vicinity of "the lines" of fortifications. (Chas. Courier, Backward Glances, Feb. 1, 3 and July 18, 1831.) Logan Street This street is named for William Logan, through whose land it was opened, from Broad to Tradd, by City Ordinance in 1803. William Logan was also Commissioner of Orphan House from 1783-1807, page 247.) Lucas Street Plan of Cannonsborough lands of , made, 1813, by John Wilson. Lucas Street shown. (R.M.C.O. A #11, page 484.) Elder Jonathan Lucas lent great impetus to rice planting industry. Gov. Bennett conveyed by deed of gift, 1847, to hid don in law, Jonathan Lucas, the land upon which stands the West Point Mill and Mr. Lucas built for himself the house now called the "Riverside Infirmary." (A.R.H.S. page 321.) Lynch’s Lane 1851 Plat by Thomas Blythe says "a street by consent" crosses Bay and Church Street Continued. (R.M.C.O. K#3, page 169.) Lynch Street (Uptown) Named after Thomas Lynch. Harleston Streets provided for in Act of 1770 according to a plan submitted by owners and streets named for noted time of period. Maiden Lane Marsh and low ground about slowly filled by Mr. John Eberly and Mr. Anthony Toomer. Upon this land Ellery and Guignard Streets and Maiden Lane built. The two blocks of Maiden Lane between Ellery and Pinckney Streets originally know as Guignard Alley. Magazine Street Magazine Street is named for a series of powder magazines, which were built at its West End. The first, built about 1737, was called the New Magazine to distinguish it from the old one on Cumberland Street. A second and larger one was built in 1748 and stood until after the Revolution. The adjoining area of four acres had been set aside in 1680 as public land and was used as a burying ground. Later the magazines, the Poor House, hospitals, the Work House for runaway slaves, and the Jail were built on the square, which was bounded by Magazine, Mazyck (now Logan), Queen and Back (now Franklin). Manigault Street Named for Peter Manigault who was Elizabeth Wragg’s husband, the father of Joseph Manigault, Wragg holdings in vicinity was very extensive. Peter Manigault sold Orphan House Square to Commissioner of Fortification in 1758 (A.R.H.S. page 301) Marion Square After Francis Marion historical changed from Inspection when used as a parade ground and public hall, 1882, rather than for tobacco inspection. Market Alley or Street After Beef Market early located on N.E. corner of Broad and Meeting. (A.R.H.S. page 261) Market Street Market Street was built partly over a creek, which divided the town proper from the suburb of Colleton Square. Ellery Street, of Colleton Square, approximated the course of present-day North Market Street, and was laid out in the 1730s. South Market street was opened later, when the Market was built sometime between 1790 and 1807. Marsh Street From topography (R.M.C.O. John McCrady Plats in Office of County Clerk Chas. Page 33, Plan of Middlesex by John Goddard, 1795.) Mary Street Mary Wragg daughter of Joseph Wragg one of the owners of Wraggsborough. (A.R.H.S. page 297.) Massachusetts Street Streets of Middlesex named to commemorate political learning of General Gadsen. Street on original plan of Middlesex. (A.R.H.S. page 281.) (Map page 256, Chas. Yr. Book 1880.) Maybank Street Apparently a family name. Little known of the history of this street. Meeting Street Meeting Street was one of the "great streets" laid out according to Lord Shaftesbury's instructions about 1672. Meeting Street takes its name from the White Meeting House of the Independents or Congregationalists. Before that name was adopted, the street was usually described in terms of its course, such as: "The Great Street that Runneth from Ashley River to the Market." While St. Philip's Church was briefly (in terms of its history) where St. Michael's now stands, the street was sometimes called Church Street, and after St. Philip's moved, was called Old Church Street. Middle Alley (Mitchell Alley) Probably named for Middle Bridge, which appears on waterfront of Cooper River in environs of Middle Alley (Mitchell’s Alley), Middle Lane (Bedon’s Alley) and Middle Street (Elliott’s Street) no doubt named for this bridge as they furnished approaches to it. (Pinckney Map, 1739) Middle Lane (Bedon’s Street) Probably so-called from the fact that it formed part of approach to Middle Bridge, one of the largest wharves on Cooper River waterfront at the time. (Pinckney Map, 1739.) Mill Street Originally called Hutson Street before 1804 and later probably got its name from West Point Mills located in environs. (Index Book to Plat Book in City Engineers Office page 75 Map 3.) (A.R.H.S. page 321) Montague Street For Governor Lord Charles Creville Montague. Streets of Charleston provided for in act of 1770 according to a plan submitted by owners. Streets named for noted men of period. (A.R.H.S. page 311.) Motte Street Probably after Col. Isaac Motte and Rebecca his wife. Revolutionary hero and heroine. Union Street continued so-called for a period of years after the Revolution until in 1811 by City Ordinance it was widen and with Union (so named to commemorate union of England and Scotland) was named State Street. (R.M./C.O. book L6 page 48) (DeS-AA Dec. 21, 1811 page 131) As Union Street continued a conveyance of 1794 says, "a street left by consent of proprietors." (R.M.C.O. book K6 page 258) Moultrie Street Originally in Village of Washington. Named for General Moultrie. The streets of Village were named to commemorate names noted in the then recent Revolution. (A.R.H.S. page 334) Mulatto Alley A sobriquet for Chalmers Alley was many squalid hovels. (Fraser page 116) Murray Boulevard Murray Boulevard is named for Andrew Buist Murray, a native of Charleston who was an orphan but became a highly successful businessman and generous philanthropist and public benefactor. The area back of the Waterfront Boulevard embraced 47 acres of mud flats between the original shoreline and the sea wall, from the West End of White Point Gardens to the West End of Tradd Street. Filling in the mud flats, begun by the city in 1909 completed reclamation of this area by filling in the mud flats, completed by 1911, and the tract was developed into building lots. At Murray's suggestion, East Battery was linked with the new boulevard by extending the seawall south of White Point Gardens. This created a riverside boulevard over a mile long. Murray contributed about 50 per cent of the cost of the development Because of load times, this document has been divided into three parts and is continued at Charleston Street's Cont - 2.
Charleston Street’s (Cont. - 1)
Please take a moment to let us know what you think about our site. Thanks!
Copyrighted © 2019, Orient of California, all rights reserved