Crisp’s Map of 1704 Charles Town/Charleston Street’s In The Early Years By: Ill. Bro. McDonald "Don" Burbidge, 33º In 1677 as the early settlement increased it was called "Oyster-Point-Town." In November of 1680 the town was renamed "New Charles- Town," in 1682 was again renamed "Charles-Town" then in 1783 the town was incorporated and became known as its present name of "Charleston." The town was originally laid off no further to the West than Meeting Street, a line to the Bay, a little to the North of the present St. Philip’s Church formed its northern boundary, and somewhere about Water Street was its southern extremity. For many years the streets were not distinguished by any names. In a deed of sale dated January 20, 1696/1697 a street is first described as "Queen Street." Found in deeds of the same period, East Bay Street was described as "a street running parallel with the Cooper River, from Ashley River to the French Church." In a deed dated July 30, 1698 some bounds are described as being on "Broad Street, alias Cooper Street that lead from Cooper River by the Church and Market place to the Ashley River." Also found in a deed dated August 17, 1699, it appears that the lots upon which City Hall and the Court House now stand, were the original sites of the Market place and some additional lands are described as bounding upon "the great street (now called Meeting Street) that runs north and south through the Market Place." Adger's Wharf Adger's Wharf is one of the several streets in the made land to the east of East Bay Street, which still carry the names of wharfs. Adger's Wharf began its history as a "low water lot" (land exposed at low tide) belonging to Robert Tradd and situated across Bay Street (now East Bay) from his residence at Tradd and the Bay. Robert Tradd, a son of Richard Tradd and, according to tradition, the first English child born in South Carolina, died in 1731, bequeathing the "Water Lot" to Jacob Motte and his children. Motte was for many years the Public Treasurer of South Carolina and was also a prominent merchant, a sometime partner of James Laurens (brother of Henry Laurens). He built on Tradd's low Water lots a large wharf known as "Motte's Wharf" or "Motte's Bridge." Buildings on Motte's Wharf included a "scale house," where items were weighed, and which apparently was large enough for Motte to locate his office and store there after the great fire of 1740. North of Motte's Wharf, which later became known as Adger's South Wharf, was Greenwood's Wharf, which later became known as Adger's North Wharf. Greenwood, a British merchant in Charles Town, was one of the consignees of tea, taxed under the Tea Act of 1773. Alexander Street Alexander Street originally extended from Boundary (now Calhoun) to Chapel Street and was laid out as part of the suburb of Mazyckborough in 1786. It was named for Alexander Mazyck, developer of the suburb. Middle Street, in Gadsden's Middlesex, between Laurens and Boundary streets, was made part of Alexander Street in 1903. The East End of Judith Street in Wraggborough became part of Alexander Street in the 1880s. Allan Park Jas. Allan, who gave land to the city. Year bk. 1922-p.384 Allen Street (Lagare) John Allen. Act of Leg. 1768, mentions land left by John Allen, James Graeme for purpose of a street or lane to be called Allen Street. (City Laws compiled by James Chapman, Esq. Page 39 of appendix of section from 1834). Amen Street According to Mr. John Bennett, from Amen Corner thereon, where last lash was given those publicly flogged. (Amen Last Street in town, suggested.) Amherst Street Lord Jeffrey Amherst Ancrum Street John Ancrum, husband of one of ladies inheriting and dividing Rhettsbury or Point Plantation. (A.R.H.S.-page 270.) Into lots & streets-family names given. Ann Street Ann Street was laid out in 1801 as one of the streets of Wraggborough. It was named for Ann Wragg (1731-1806), daughter of Joseph Wragg, and wife of Gen. Christopher Gadsden. Anson Street Anson Street, laid out in 1745-46 as part of the suburb of Ansonborough, originally extended between George and Centurion (now part of Society) streets. Scarborough Street, named for one of Lord Anson's ships, ran from George to Boundary (Calhoun) Street. To the south, Quince (named for Parker Quince, husband of Susannah Rhett) ran from Centurion to Pinckney, through Rhettsbury, and Charles Street (named for Charles Pinckney) ran from Pinckney to Market, through Colleton Square. By city ordinance, in 1805, Charles, Quince and Scarborough streets became part of Anson Street. Archdale Street Archdale Street was named for John Archdale, a Quaker, who was Governor of the Province of Carolina in 1695-1696. Archdale was a man of "character and ability" who introduced a series of important and beneficial laws, and whose brief time in office was characterized by "moderation, respect for the rights of all parties, firmness and the allaying of prejudices by the gentleness of steady toleration." Ashley Avenue Ashley Avenue was first laid out as Lynch Street, for Thomas Lynch, in 1770, as one of the streets of the Village of Harleston. After the Revolution, the street from Calhoun north was called Paine or Payne. In 1791, as it crossed Elliott (now Spring Street) Street, it was called Thomas. The street from Line Street to Congress, in the Village of Washington, was called Legare Street. In 1869, Lynch Street was extended south to Broad Street, and still later to Tradd. In 1897, the name Ashley Avenue was applied to the length of the street. Atlantic Street Sometime before 1739, Lynch's Lane was laid out from Meeting Street to the Cooper River, with a width of 12 feet. 1800 had widened the street, from Church Street to East Battery, widened to 26 feet. The portion from Church to Meeting remained narrow and was called Lightwood Alley, but in 1805 was again called Lynch's Lane. In 1837, the street was made of uniform width throughout the two blocks and renamed Atlantic Street to avoid confusion with Lynch Street, in Harleston (now part of Ashley Avenue.) Back Street The back street of land of Mazyck family has originally First Street laid out by Mazycks. (Index Bk. To plat Bk. In City Engineer’s Office page 39, map 3.) Barre Street Barre (pronounced like Barry) Street was surveyed in 1770 as the westernmost street of the Village of Harleston running south to north from a creek just below Beaufain Street and crossing a creek just to the north of Bull Street. The street, however, was platted through marshlands and never actually laid out. Lucas Street, located at a point between Barre (as platted in 1770) and Gadsden streets, and running north from Manigault Street (as the western portion of Calhoun was then called) to Mill Street (now Sabin), was cut through the lands of Jonathan Lucas, Sr. and Jr., mill builders and operators. The continuation of Lucas Street south of Calhoun into the lands and Jr. was also called Lucas Street. In the mid-20th century, when the street was continued south to Broad Street, the old name of Barre was revived and applied to the length of the street. Barre street honors Isaac Barre, a member of Parliament who, like William Pitt, sponsored the cause of the colonists against ''taxation without representation." Beaufain Street Beaufain Street was platted as part of Harleston Village in 1770; it followed the north line of the original Grand Modell of Charles Town and of the Mazyck Lands, which was also the south boundary of the Glebe Lands and the Harleston lands. The street was named for Hector Berenger de Beaufain, a French Huguenot who came to South Carolina about 1735 and lived here until his death in 1766. He was a prominent and "well-beloved" citizen, a member of the St. Andrews Society and other organizations here and abroad. He was one of the founders of the Charleston Library Society, a member of his Majesty's Council, and for 24 years was Collector of Customs. He was buried in St. Philip's churchyard and a monument given by his fellow citizens was placed in the church. The monument was destroyed when the church burned in 1835. Beaufain's monument bore witness to his "unshaken integrity" as customs collector. McCrady states that South Carolina, enjoying a lucrative trade with London and special privilege under the trade laws, which allowed rice to be shipped directly to Spain, Portugal and the Mediterranean, was not annoyed with the Navagation Acts, as were the northern colonies, where smuggling became a way of life. Therefore Charlestonians had no reason for hostility to the Royal customs officials until the adoption of the Stamp Act, 1764. Bedon's Alley (Bedon's Alley from Tradd St.) Bedon's Alley was in existence by 1704, when it appeared, unnamed, on the Crisp Map. The "lchonography" of 1739 identifies it as Middle Lane. Deeds as early as 1733, however, refer to it as Beadon's or Bedon's Street or Alley. It was named for George Beadon (Bedon), a merchant who owned land in the little street. The fires of 1740 and 1778 swept through the alley, presumably destroying all structures. Bee Street Family name, Judge Bee a member of Congress in Philadelphia. (Johnson’s traditions John Bee, 1717 sold land to Benjamin de la Cousiellere. (AQRS page 226) Bennett Street Thomas Bennett who acquired a large part of Harleston. Owned large lumber mills in company with Daniel Canon, (A.R.H.S. page 321.) Harleston Streets laid out from act of 1770. (A.R.H.S. page 311.) According to plan submitted by owner. Beresford Alley Presently called Chalmers Street, John Beresford. Lot 43 of "Modell" on West Side of Church Street & 2nd lot North from Broad Street granted to him, March 22, 1682 (1725 lot plat of C.T.) Blake Street Blake family. George Logan (1700) conveyed to Joseph Blake Landgrave and one of the Proprietors 210 acres of original Dalton grant. Most of this remained in Blake family for many years. (Judge Smith Charleston Neck page 12.) Blakeweys, Street of Major Major Blakewey, with a few others, Mr. Skene & Col. Logan early protested against Govt. of Lords Prop. Wrote letter to Gov., 1719. (McCrady Volume 1670-1719 page 647.) Bottle Alley Now named Clifford Alley Boundary Street The fixed boundary line between lands of Christopher Gadsen and Alexander Mazyck, according to an agreement of April 22, 1768. (R.M.C.O. – I number 3 page 415.) Bowling Green A plantation so-called & belonging at one time to George Lord Anson (a gamester and gambler.) Index book to plat book in the city engineer’s office page 70 maps number 1. Broad Path or High Way Broad Street Broad Street was just that, the broadest street in Charles Town. The street was 61 feet wide at the intersection of East Bay and 100 feet wide between St. Michael's Church and the Beef Market (which stood on the site of City Hall). Records during the period, 1698 to 1714, interchangeably refer to Broad Street and Cooper Street, presumably for Lord Anthony Ashley Cooper. Bull Street Bull Street was named for William Bull; a native South Carolinian who was the last to fill the Royally appointed office of Lieutenant governor. Land laid out from an act of 1770. Calhoun Street Calhoun Street is named for John C. Calhoun, the "Great Nullifier. " Originally the eastern portion of the street was Boundary Street, as after the Revolution it marked the northern extent of the city. The area above Boundary Street was known as Charleston Neck. The portion west of King Street was called Manigault Street, for Peter Manigault, speaker of the House. The entire length of the street became Calhoun Street after the city limit was extended to Mount Pleasant street in 1849. Callibeauf’s Lane Apparently a family name. One of lots of Modell of Charles Town granted to Is Caillabeuf, 1694. (Lot plat of C.T. 1725). Laid out by consent of neighborhood, conveyance recorded 1713. (R.M.C.O. E page 220). Shown as public thoroughfare on Crisp’s Survey, 1704. Canal Street A canal dug here before "evolution." (A.R.H.S. page 269.) Appears on plat of lands brought by Charles Pinckney, plat of 1714 canal probably dug by C.C. Pinckney? (R.M.C.O.-The John McCrady Plats book 2, page 87-in office of county clerk, Charleston.) Cannon Street Daniel Canon, a house carpenter & most influential mechanic in Charleston and called Daddy Cannon. Large landowner and had a large lumber mills. Johnson’s traditions, page 34; also A.H.R.S. page 331. Acquired land 1762, and conveyed it in 1800. (Charleston Neck, Judge Smith, page 73.) Centurian Street Lord Anson’s ship "Centurion" in which he made his famous voyage. (A.R.H.S. page 281.) One of the original streets of Ansonborough laid out by Hunter’s plat 1746. Chalmers Street Chalmers Street, the longest remaining Cobblestone Street, has had various names. The block from Union (now State) to Church was early called Union Alley, and after he purchased property on it in 1757, was called Chalmers Alley after Dr. Lionel Chalmers. Dr. Chalmers (1715- 1777), a Scot, studied medicine at the University of Edinburgh before settling in South Carolina where he became one of the leading physicians and was associated with Dr. John Lining (see 106 Broad). He was a scientist who, like Lining, recorded weather observations and published the results in London in 1776. His work on tetanus was published in the Transactions of the Medical Society of London (1754) and his Essay on Fevers was published in Charles Town (1767). He corresponded with leading European scientists, as did Lining and Dr. Alexander Garden of Charles Town. The great fire of 1778 destroyed Chalmers’ residence in the alley. It was on the north side; otherwise its location is uncertain. The continuation of the thoroughfare, from Church Street to Meeting was Beresford Alley, named for Richard Beresford, a Wando River planter who in 1715 left his large estate for the establishment of a free school. The fund continues to provide scholarships for needy students. Forty years after the Revolution, the two alleys were widened, paved and merged into one street under the name Chalmers Street. Chapel St. Chapel Street was named for a chapel (apparently never built) for which a lot at the northeast corner of Chapel and Elizabeth streets was set aside in the plan of Wraggborough. Later, a chapel was built on the triangle at the street's western, in 1858. The congregation of St. Luke’s Episcopal Church used it while their sanctuary (now New Tabernacle Fourth Baptist Church, 22 Elizabeth St.) was being built. The tradition that the street was named for this chapel is untrue, as the name of the street predated the building. Later, the congregation of St. Mark’s Episcopal used the chapel Church, until their church on Thomas Street was built. The building was demolished in 1884. Charles Street From Pinckney to present Market so walled as early 1739 map by Pinckney. Could it be named for Charles Pinckney as Rhettsbury & Ansonborough Streets nearby named for landowners? Charlotte Street Charlotte Street was laid out in 1801 as one of the streets of Wraggborough. It was named for Charlotte Wragg, daughter of Joseph Wragg and wife of John Poaug. Cheyes Alley Family name (R.M.C.O.C. number page 407) there bouts around 1801. Church Street Church Street, named for the new St. Philip's Church, was one of the regularly laid out streets of the 1672 Grand Modell, extending the length of the town from what is now Cumberland Street to Vanderhorst Creek (present Water Street). Early references call it New Church Street, signifying the removal of St. Philip's from its original site, and in some cases, new Meeting street, reflecting perhaps the loss of Old Meeting Street due to construction of the city walls, and perhaps the presence of the Baptist Church near it's south end. By 1739, it was known simply as Church Street. By that time, also, Vanderhorst Creek had been bridged and Church Street Continued was cut from Vanderhorst Creek south to Broughton's Battery on White Point. Clifford Street Clifford Street was early known as Dutch Church Alley, for the German (Deutsches) Lutheran Church (St. John's) which stood on the present site of St. John's Parish House. It was later named for John Clifford, who owned property at its eastern end. College Street College Street is named for the College of Charleston, through whose lands it was cut in 1797. The street became integrated into the college's campus once again in the 1970s. Colleton Square The Lord Prop made Sir Peter Colleton, to whom grant of lot No. 80 of Modell in 1681. Colonial Lake The lake and its park were part of the Commons established by an Act of the Commons House of Assembly in 1768, setting aside the area forever for public use. The tradition that the lake was developed as a small boat harbor for planters apparently has no foundation in fact. Most likely, it served as MillPond for a succession of sawmills, which operated in the vicinity. For many years the lake was known as the Rutledge Street Pond. It acquired the name, Colonial Lake, in 1881, in honor of the "Colonial Commons" established in 1768. Some residents still call it "The Pond." The park around the lake was developed in 1882-87. Fountains were placed in the lake in 1973, not for decorative purposes, but to aerate the water and prevent fish kills on hot summer days. "Gala Week" used to be held in the fall of the year, with a fireworks display on the West Side of the Pond, which was then an undeveloped area. Spectators filled to park and crowded onto boats in the lake. Colonial Street Opened by City Ordinance, July 9, 50 foot wide Coming Street Coming Street is named for Mrs. Affra Coming, who came on the ship Carolina in 1670 and left the Glebe Lands to the Anglican Church. Coming, John Affra his wife. Grant of 133 acres made to J.C. 1675. (A.R.H.S. page 311) Streets of Harleston provided for by act of 1770 (A.R.H.S. page) Affra Coming in Harleston. John Coming a Devonshire sailor first mate of Carolina and later Edisto & Blessing. (Chas. Ravenel page 10) Concord Street A Middlesex Street named to show political leaning of Christopher Gadsen. (A.R.H.S. page 281.) Cone’ Street Godfrey Cone1 a landowner thereabouts 1793. (R.M.C.O. K no.6 page 126) Lot No. 17 also known as Corner’s Lot. (Ibid page 313 Book E.) Congress Street Village of Washington Streets named to commemorate names noted in Revolution. (A.R.H.S. page 334) Cool Blow Street C.B. Village (Index Book to plat book in city engineer’s office page 97, map no. 1.) Cooper Street (Broad) Could it have been named for Dr. Christian Cooper, deceased before 1722 who owned lot surrounding present site of St. Michael’s Church? No. 109 of "Modell"? (R.M.C.O. e page 41.) Cordes Street Cordes Street was named for the family of Catherine Cordes, wife of Samuel Prioleau, Jr., owner of Prioleau's Wharf. It. was the southernmost street of the Prioleau's Wharf property, which was laid out by his heirs in 1816, with streets named for branches of the family: Prioleau, Cordes and Gendron. Corsican Street Street in Middlesex named after Christopher Gadsen’s political learnings. (A.R.H.S. page 281.) Council Street Benjamin de la Conseillere, assistant Justice, 1737, etc. Name first imposed on creeks, Oldys’ and the western branch, Holding’s which later gave name to street. (A.R.H.S. page 223.) Purchased land from John Bee, 1717. (Ibid, page 226.) Court House Square This was formerly State House Alley or State House Square, when the South Carolina State House was located on the site of the Charleston County Court House. After the Revolution, when the state capital was moved to Columbia and the burned State House was rebuilt as the Charleston District Court House, the name change for the street followed. Cumberland Street Cumberland Street was probably named for William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, who defeated the pro-Stuart Scots at the Battle of Culloden in 1746. The street does not appear on the "Iconography" of 1739. Cumberland was originally one block long, from Meeting to Church. It. was widened in the early part of the 19th century, and extended to East Bay. In the process, a slice was taken from Amen Street, which ceased to exist. Amen Street began at East Bay and extended northwestwardly to Church Street. One tradition says it was so named because it was the last street on the north side of town; another that it was so-called because it was in hearing range of the "Amens" from nearby churches. Dennis’s Alley Lot No. 35 conv. To Lawrence Dennis 1723 who conv. It 1726 (R.M.C.O. A No.3 page 118.) Dutch Church Alley First German Church built about 1759. (Shecut sketch) Led to Dutch Church. East Battery East Bay Street was originally called Bay Street or The Bay. According to Ramsay, the first houses were built along the waterfront. The early grants described lots as bounding east on Cooper River. It was literally true, as there was nothing to the east of East Bay but marsh and water. From the settlement of the town, East Bay was the center of a growing commerce. As commerce grew and the town grew, so did the number of wharfs or "bridges" as they were called. With the buildup of land east of the town wall on curtain line, short streets were laid out east of East Bay and office buildings and warehouses were built on the street and wharfs. Most of that development occurred after the American Revolution. During the colonial period, the East Side of East Bay was fortified, from Granville's Bastion on the South to Craven's Bastion on the north. The West Side of the street was lined with buildings, stores below and residences above, while the wharfs projected to the east of the curtain line. East Bay crossed a small swamp at the foot of Queen Street and crossed a drainage canal at present-day Market Street via the Governor's Bridge, whence it continued north to Colleton Square and the other suburbs. Above the Governor's Bridge it was known as East Bay continued as far as Laurens Street, where it was known as Front street or So-Be-It Lane. Because of load times, this document has been divided into three parts and is continued at Charleston Street's Cont - 1.
Please take a moment to let us know what you think about our site. Thanks!
Copyrighted © 2019, Orient of California, all rights reserved